Monday, February 22, 2010

Blogging For Kids Too?

I get asked this questions a lot – by companies, individuals, friends, and family. “I don’t have a company. Should I blog?” My answer every single time, reguardless who asks, is YES. I even think that children should start a blog. Now, before you crucify me, let me explain.Everyone blogs for a different reason. Companies blog to inprove search engine optimization, generate leads, corporate PR, and additional marketing. Individuals will blog for a various of reasons: voice an opinion, personal brand marketing, to vent, and others. One thing they all have in common – blogging is for adults only and around a particular topic. For example, Saving Every Day (www.savingeveryday.net) is all about saving money – discounts, coupons, and offers.



So back to my comment about children blogging. I believe everyone who has family or plans to have a family should start a blog. I have a friend that her mother died when she was still a baby. Except for stories from her family, she didn’t get to know her mother. Then, when she was 22, she was helping her grandmother clean the basement and found a stack of journals her mother had written starting in high school and all through college. Through these, she got an in-depth knowledge of her mother that still influences her today.This is why I started my own personal blog. I know I will not keep a written journal. Plus, actual paper journals break down over time and can be lost. My blog, on the other hand, will be around for virtually forever. Thus allowing me to influence not only my own children, but my grandchildren, my great grandchildren, and generations ahead.My personal blog is behind a password so only those I have given the password can read it. So it giving me free reign to post freely with personal content. I have also started blogs for my godchildren (I currently do not have children of my own) which are secured. This has improved their spelling, grammar, and funny enough, reading abilities too.



The hardest part of doing a journal blog is remembering to post! With the kids, we made it a weekly chore – like taking out the trash. Funny thing is that it is easier to get them to post then to actually take out the trash! I have freshness reminders to remind us to post every week. Also, I keep a list of topics on my phone when I think of something I want to blog, I jot it down.I look forward to reading everyone’s post now and in the future. What could you have posted when you were a teenager that now you may want to edit? Either way, I’ve started my life story for my generation. Have you?